Poor adherence to topical treatment is a serious problem with several contributing factors. Numerous studies have shown that poor texture and sensorial properties negatively impact patient experience and adherence to treatment. The good news is there is plenty of scope for innovation and improvement in topical dosage forms if the patient’s experience of texture and sensorial properties is taken into consideration during formulation development.
Sensory analysis is a scientific discipline that applies the principles of experimental design and statistical analysis to measure, analyze, and interpret the characteristics of a product as they are perceived by the senses.
Gattefossé has developed validated methods and established an in-house sensorial analysis panel. Using this approach, we can evaluate the sensorial properties of our prototype formulations to
• evaluate the influence of new raw materials in formulation,
• evaluate the main texture characteristics of our emulsifiers,
• compare prototypes with market references,
• understand market preferences,
• construct a broad texture database.