High shear blending with glyceryl distearate provides individually coated drug particles for effective taste masking
Yvonne Rosiaux, Amandine Forest, Jean-Michel Girard, Carole Deleglise, Liz Sheehan and Delphine Marchaud
Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology 48 (2018) 437–449
In this study the authors used:
– A design of experiment, to evaluate the effect of process parameters (blending speed, chopper speed and coating time) on drug particle size.
– Potassium chloride as model drug.
The study showed:
– Individual particle coating was achieved at 450 rpm with 20% glyceryl distearate (Precirol® ATO 5) at 48°C
– High shear coating is as efficient as fluid bed coating for taste masking
– A trained sensory panel confirmed the effectiveness of the process on taste masking
Access the publication