Suppocire® and Ovucire™ are our well-established brands of semi-synthetic hard fat bases comprising fatty acid esters. Their physicochemical properties have been optimized to provide excellent drug delivery for both solid and liquid active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs), across the range of water solubility.
Advantages of Suppocire® and Ovucire™
- proven safety and mucosal tolerance
- excellent drug dispersion and physicochemical stability
- narrow melting range for high performance in vivo
- solidification behavior adapted for a wide range of manufacturing equipment
Range of bases for suppositories
We offer a wide range of bases for suppositories and pessaries. Here you will find a selection of the most versatile grades. Our bases and formulation expertise enable you to:
- simplify existing formulations by reducing the number of excipients;
- optimize the manufacturing process and reduce quality issues;
- obtain excellent product quality attributes including drug dissolution, i.e., efficacy.
These multipurpose vehicles span a range of melting points and hydroxyl values and are suitable for a wide spectrum of APIs. They are ideal for straightforward formulations using manual, semi-automated, or fully automated equipment.
|Suppocire® Grade||Suppocire® Main Characteristics|
|Suppocire® AM||Low melting point|
|Suppocire® BM||Intermediate melting point|
|Suppocire® NAI 25 A||Low melting point; long-chain glycerides enable production of hard suppository units|
Bases for challenging APIs
Some APIs are more difficult to formulate due to properties such as hydrophilicity, sensitivity to oxidation, or high drug load. They require special bases like the following:
|Drug Characteristics||Suppocire® Grade|
|Hydrophilic||Suppocire® AS 2|
|Suppocire® NAS 50|
|Suppocire® BS 2 X|
|Suppocire® CS 2 X|
|Sensitive to oxidation||Suppocire® NA 15|
|Low bioavailability||Suppocire® AP|
|High drug load||Suppocire® AML|
Dedicated bases for pessaries
|Ovucire™ Grade||Ovucire™ Main Characteristics|
|Ovucire™ 3460||Good mechanical resistance and enhanced spreadability within the vaginal cavity|
|Ovucire™ WL 3264||With additive to enhance API dispersion and wettability|
- selection of the appropriate Suppocire® and Ovucire™ base by considering API characteristics and the manufacturing process;
- rapid product development benefiting from our database of validated formulations;
- laboratory-scale formulation development, troubleshooting, scale-up, and manufacturing advice.
Contact Gattefossé to obtain reference formulations with APIs such as acetaminophen, clotrimazole, diclofenac sodium, econazole nitrate, hydrocortisone acetate, ketoprofen, lidocaine hydrochloride, mesalamine, metronidazole, miconazole nitrate, nystatin, papaverine, phloroglucinol, piroxicam, probiotics, procaine, progesterone, and ruscogenin in association with trimebutine.